Antique Quick Search

Browse by category :

Bookmark and Share

The IDLE APPRENTICE Executed at Tyburn by William Hogarth (1747)

Interesting facts about the Tyburn Brook…

  • From the 13th century, the Tyburn supplied water for London through conduits of elm trunks, which were later changed to leather pipes.
  • The earliest written record of the Tyburn was in 785 A.D.
  • Brook Street in Mayfair takes its name from the Tyburn, often referred to as the Tyburn Brook from the 15th century.
  • Lancashire Court was developed on what used to be the east bank of the Tyburn. Here, ducks once wandered about amongst the long grass and puddles, women did their washing at the water's edge and a hospital for plague victims was erected here near the open fields.
  • The Tyburn Estate was recorded in the Domesday Book as a manor that consisted of no more than 150 people and was worth only 52 shillings.

Tyburn Brook in the 18th Century

Buy part of London's Past

Grays dealer Jane Stewart deals in pewter, oak and interesting objects from Saxon to Victorian, including pieces uncovered by The Society of Mudlarks who dig pieces from the banks of the Thames. Each item is taken to the Museum of London for archiving before being sold by Jane. However humble, each piece is a rare slice of London history and a real treasure that you would normally only see at a museum. Examples from £5.